I've been corresponding with Dr. John Sturgis
我跟约翰·斯特吉斯博士一直有通信
at East Texas Tech.
他在东德克萨斯理工大学教书
He said I could audit his course.
他说我能去旁听他的课
Connie I would like to see you again.
康妮 我很希望能再跟你见面
Perhaps we could have dinner sometime.
或许有机会我们可以一起吃个晚饭
Yes we would love that.
太好了 我们很愿意
We would
我们会愿意吗
If they get married we immediately double
如果他们结婚了 我们家族的聪明人数量
the number of smart people in our family.
就可以瞬间加倍呢
Hello Dr. Sturgis.
你好 斯特吉斯博士
Hello Sheldon.
你好 谢尔顿
Can you see yourself living here I can.
你能想象你住在这里吗 我就能
Mmm. Good ratio of hot dog chunks to spaghetti.
热狗丁跟意面的比例完美
I've been experimenting. Glad you noticed.
我一直在实验完美比例 很高兴你注意到了
Kids Wash up for dinner
孩子们 洗手吃饭啦
Now who on earth is that
会是谁来按门铃啊
And don't be picking out all the chunks.
不许你把热狗丁全挑出来吃了
Sorry I'm a little late.
抱歉我迟到了
My pant leg got stuck in the chain.
我的裤腿卡自行车链条里了
Who are you
你是谁
I'm John Sturgis.
我是约翰·斯特吉斯
Sheldon invited me to dinner.
谢尔顿邀请我来共进晚餐
Okay. Um come in I guess.
好的 您先请进吧
Sheldon
谢尔顿
Coming
来了
This is for you.
这是给你的
It's cheese and summer sausages.
是起司与熏香肠
Thank you.
谢谢
Summer sausage means it doesn't need to be refrigerated.
熏香肠就代表这不需要放冰箱冷藏
Is that so
是这样吗
It is.
是的
Okay. Sheldon
好的 谢尔顿
Dr. Sturgis welcome.
斯特吉斯博士 欢迎你来
Thank you Sheldon.
谢谢 谢尔顿
Sheldon you think you might've let me know
谢尔顿 你不觉得你应该先让我知道
you invited company over for dinner
你邀请了人来共进晚餐吗
I did think about it but I was afraid you might say no.
我想过告诉你 但我怕你会拒绝
Come see my train set.
来看看我的火车模型吧
All right
Nobody else is stronger than I am
世上没人比我强壮
Yesterday I moved a mountain
昨天我移了一座山
I bet I could be your hero
我相信我能当你的英雄
I am a mighty little man
我是个了不起的小家伙
I am a mighty little man
我是个了不起的小家伙
Good Lord.
我的老天啊
You mean he just showed up out of nowhere
你是说他就这么突然出现在你家吗
Yep. He's out in the garage playing trains with Sheldon.
他现在在车库里跟谢尔顿玩火车呢
Why's your hair wet
你的头发为什么是湿的
If you must know I was doing my water aerobics
如果你真想知道 我本来是在做水中有氧
and my swimming cap fell off.
然后我的泳帽掉了
This Sturgis fella didn't say a word to you
这位斯特吉斯兄台没先跟你说过吗
If he did do you think I would have been doing frog kicks
要是有 你觉得我还会去基督教青年会里的
at the YMCA
游泳池中蛙式蹬腿吗
You look great.
你看起来很棒
O gauge trains are definitely the best.
32毫米模型铁道规轨距的火车最棒了
Oh yes they are.
是的 没错
Oh well what a pleasant surprise.
真是个意外之喜啊
Oh good. You're here too.
太好了 你也来啦
I am.
是啊
Are y'all about ready for dinner
你们都准备好吃晚饭了吗
I am.
我好了
Well then let's go.
那我们快去吧
Meemaw you smell like chlorine.
姥姥 你闻起来有氯的味道
Why say it
你说出来干嘛
You weren't kidding.
你说的是真的
Spaghetti and hot dogs is delightful.
意面配热狗丁真是超好吃
Even better since Mom perfected the chunk ratio.
我妈找出完美比例后又更棒了
So Dr. Sturgis Sheldon tells us
斯特吉斯博士 谢尔顿跟我们说
you're a guest professor at the university.
你在大学里是客座教授
I am. ‭Hmm.
是的
Does that mean that you're only here temporarily
这表示你只是暂时待在这个城市吗
Well that's the plan for now.
目前的计划是这样
But I could be enticed to stay.
但如果有理由留下 我也可以
Meemaw I do believe there was subtext there.
姥姥 我觉得他话中有话
Did you pick up on it
你有听出弦外之音吗
Yeah.
有的
Was I correct to infer there was subtext there
我说你话中有话没理解错吧
You were.
理解很正确
Okay we're all good.
好的 那一切没事
I can't believe they're making me sit and eat at the kiddie table.
真不敢相信他们让我来小孩桌吃饭
It's better here.
这里比较好
How
好在哪
We don't have to pray eat our vegetables
不用饭前祷告 不用被逼吃蔬菜
and we can curse.
而且可以骂脏话
Hmm. Maybe you're right.
或许你说的有道理吧
Course I am you ass face.
当然有啊 你个傻逼
Dr. Sturgis do you think we're ever going to unify gravity
斯特吉斯博士 你觉得人类会有把重力
with the other three fundamental forces
跟其他三种基本力统一的一天吗
I have a sticky note on my refrigerator
我的冰箱上面有个便利贴
which reminds me every day to do just that.
天天提醒我要做到这件事
When did you decide to focus your research
你是什么时候开始把研究重心
on quantum... Um Sheldon I think
-放在量子... -谢尔顿 我觉得
you're kind of dominating the conversation.
你有点霸占人家聊天的机会了
Why don't you let your meemaw talk to Dr. Sturgis.
你何不让姥姥跟斯特吉斯博士聊聊呢
Oh I'm sorry. By all means.
抱歉 你们聊吧
Thank you.
谢谢
Connie Yes John.
-康妮 -怎么了 约翰
Do you smell like chlorine on purpose
你是故意让自己有氯的味道的吗
You sure I can't give you a ride home
你确定不用我送你回家吗
I can throw your bike in the back of my pickup truck.
你的自行车可以放到我小卡车后面一起啊
Thank you no. I I enjoy the night air.
谢谢好意 我挺喜欢夜晚的空气
Plus hot dogs and spaghetti is a highly caloric event
而且热狗与意面富含热量
that demands an aerobic effort on my part.
需要自己做点有氧运动来消耗掉
Well it was a pleasure spending the evening with you.
很高兴今晚能有机会跟您共进晚餐
We should do it again sometime.
有机会欢迎再来
Great. When
那太好了 什么时候呢
How about tomorrow
明晚怎么样
You know what we'll figure it out.
这样吧 我们之后再讨论
Come on let me see you to your Schwinn.
来 我陪你走到你的自行车吧
Bye.
再见啦
Good night.
晚安
Well that was the most stimulating dinner
这是我在这个家里吃过
I've ever had in this house.
最振奋人心的一顿晚餐了
Glad you enjoyed it.
你开心就好
That man is a true role model.
那个男人真是我的人生榜样啊
Well it's nice you finally got a man you can look up to.
恭喜你终于找到了一个男性榜样啊
Oh believe me I know.
是啊 我深有体会
You gonna keep it all bottled up
你是想全憋在心里
or you want to talk about it ‭What
-还是你想说出来 -什么
I'm fine.
我没事啦
There's nothing to talk about.
没什么好聊的
You sure Yeah.
-你确定吗 -确定
Sweet dreams.
好好睡吧
You know you want to talk about it.
你知道你自己很想讲
You saw it.
你也看到了
My own son can't even imagine me being a role model
我的亲生儿子不觉得我能当他的榜样
How am I supposed to be okay with that
你让我心里怎么舒坦
You're a role model for Georgie.
你是小乔治的人生榜样啊
I used to be.
曾经是
Now he wants to grow up and be Tony Danza.
他现在只想长大变成像男演员托尼·丹扎
Did you forget you have a daughter
你忘了自己还有个女儿
who would really benefit from having a good man to look up to
而她如果有个良好的男性榜样也会受益良多吗
Oh dear Lord.
老天爷啊
You did forget.
你还真忘了
I didn't forget. I just...
我没忘 我只是...
I don't know how to spend time with her.
我只是不知道怎么跟她相处
It ain't rocket science George.
又不是让你登天 乔治
She's a little girl.
她就是个小女孩
Ask her what she wants to do
问她想做什么
and then do it with her.
然后陪她一起做
Oh yeah. I suppose.
好吧 我应该可以
Trust me. She'll be thrilled to spend some time with you.
相信我 你能陪她她会很开心的
Okay.
好啦
Yeah I'll give it a try.
我再试试看
Hey when we do you know whatever it is she likes to do
等我陪她... 做她想做的事情的时候
you're gonna be there right
你也会在一旁陪着吧
No.
不会啊
Well this just got harder.
好吧 这事瞬间难了
Meemaw
姥姥
Meemaw
姥姥
What
什么事
I've been researching things
我专门去研究了
that you and I can do with Dr. Sturgis.
我们可以跟斯特吉斯博士一起做的事
There's a lecture tonight at Rice University called
今晚在莱斯大学有一堂课
"What's happening at the center of our galaxy."
"我们银河的中心在发生什么事"
Let me just stop you right there.
你先停一下
Don't worry. I know what's happening at the center
别放心 我知道银河中心的情况
but I would never spoil it for you.
但我不会剧透你的
Look I know you're invested
听我说 我知道你十分希望
in me and John having a relationship
我跟约翰能有感情发展
and I'm not saying we won't.
我的意思也不是我们不会
But it ain't gonna happen with you always underfoot.
但如果你整天碍事 我们就很难有发展
Have I been underfoot
我碍手碍脚了吗
Honey in order for grown ups to get to know each other
亲爱的 大人们想要多了解彼此
they need to have some alone time.
就需要有单独相处的时间
What if I'm around but I took a vow of silence
如果我发誓保持缄默 能让我在一旁待着吗
Go home and have your breakfast.
回家吃你的早饭去
And then she said for grown ups to get to know each other
她说大人们想多了解彼此
they have to have time alone.
就需要有单独相处的时间
Makes sense. What else
很有道理 还有呢
Apparently my being underfoot isn't conducive to romance.
貌似我当个碍事精对浪漫有害
This is very helpful.
你的消息很有用
Thank you.
谢谢你
I'm at your service.
乐意为你效劳
Oh Celeste why do you always fall for bad boys
塞莱斯特 你为什么总爱上坏男人
Hi Dad.
爸爸你来啦
What you doing
你在干嘛呢
Am I in trouble
我做错事了吗
No no. Just just checking in on you.
没有没有 我就来关心你一下
Why
为什么
'Cause you're my daughter and I love you.
因为你是我女儿 而且我爱你啊
This is getting weird.
越说越尴尬了
It is. I was just thinking that uh
是啊 我是在想...
you and me you know we don't spend much time together.
你跟我呢... 不太常一起相处
You know we should find something to do
我们应该找点事一起做
just just two of us.
就我跟你
Like what ‭You tell me.
-比如什么 -你说啊
What what sounds fun
你觉得什么有趣
I'd like to be taken to dinner.
我想你请我出去吃晚餐
Great. Where
很好 上哪吃
To the fanciest restaurant in all of Texas.
去德州最时髦高档的餐厅
Which is...
是...
Red Lobster where the surf meets the turf.
红龙虾餐厅 海陆大总汇
美式连锁休闲餐馆 主要吃海鲜与各种肉排
You got it.
一言为定
Thanks Dad.
谢谢老爸
Mom you got to take me shopping
妈 你得带我出去购物
I need a dress
我要买条新裙子
Yeah
是谁
Connie this is John Sturgis.
康妮 是我约翰·斯特吉斯
Well hello John Sturgis.
你好啊 约翰·斯特吉斯
How are you
你好吗
I chipped a tooth on a peach pit this morning
我今早吃桃子被桃核崩了牙
but otherwise I'm okay.
除此之外一切都好
Good. Good to hear it.
很好 你好就好
Next order of business.
下一件事情呢
I would like to have dinner with you tonight
我是想邀请你今晚一起吃饭
just the two of us.
就我们俩人单独
Oh well that sounds nice.
这听起来很不错
What'd you have in mind
你有什么计划
I'd like to come to your house and cook you a Szechuan feast.
我想来你家为你做一顿四川菜
I'm sorry a what
抱歉 你说什么
Szechuan.
四川菜
It's a style of Chinese cooking I learned
一种中式料理风格
when I was traveling through China.
是我在中国旅游时学会的
Well wonderful. I would love that.
真棒 我很愿意
Great. Do you have a wok
太好了 你家有炒菜锅吗
I do not.
没有呢
Not a problem.
没关系
I have a travel wok.
我有便携炒菜锅
Okay.
好的
Uh so uh what do you say about 6 00
六点怎么样
It's a date.
就这么说定了
Terrific.
好极了
Oh and um let's not mention this to Sheldon
对了 我们别告诉谢尔顿
so as to keep him from being underfoot.
他就不会来碍事了
Have you been talking to him
你是不是跟他联系过
I have. See you later.
是啊 晚点见
Do I really need to get dressed up to go to Red Lobster
不过是去红龙虾餐厅 我有必要盛装打扮吗
You're getting dressed up for your daughter.
你盛装打扮是为了女儿不是为了吃饭
And that's a new shirt so be sure to ask for a bib.
这是新衬衣 记得要个围兜
I'm ready.
我准备好了
You're going to dinner wearing that
你要穿这样去吃晚餐吗
I think you mean she looks beautiful.
你是想说她看起来真美吧
You look beautiful.
你看起来真美
Why thank you George.
谢谢赞美 乔治
How 'bout we stick with "dad" tonight
你今晚还是叫我爸爸如何
Okay but you call me Melissa.
行吧 但你要叫我米丽莎
After you Melissa.
你先请 米丽莎
Thanks George.
谢了 乔治
Oh my.
老天
I know I look like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.
我知道 我看起来好像忍者神龟
Well come on in.
快进来吧
Sheldon come in the kitchen for dinner.
谢尔顿 进厨房吃饭吧
Can I eat out here Why
-我能在这里吃吗 -为什么
Dr. Sturgis is having a dinner date with Meemaw.
斯特吉斯教授在跟姥姥进行晚餐约会
I don't want to miss it.
我不想错过
Fine.
好吧
During that time I saw three cars drive by
在那段时间里 我看到三辆车经过
and a raccoon dragging a slice of pizza.
还看到一只浣熊拖走一片比萨
Uh table for two.
两位 谢谢
No problem.
没问题
Allow me.
容我帮您
You are allowed.
准了
Thank you.
谢谢
Yes thank you.
是的 谢谢
If I may.
恕我冒昧
So what do you think
你觉得怎么样
I think we might be underdressed.
我觉得我们穿得太寒酸了
The trick to a successful Szechuan dinner
一顿成功的四川晚餐的秘诀
is the Szechuan pepper.
就是四川花椒
Okay.
好吧
Now you may notice
你可能会发现
your lips and tongue getting numb.
你的嘴唇和舌头发麻
Then why are we eating it
那我们为什么要吃
'Cause it's yummy.
因为很好吃啊
Sure.
好吧
So what were you doing wandering around China
你环游中国是要做什么
Well when I'm not doing research or teaching
我不做研究或教书的时候
I enjoy taking the path less traveled.
我喜欢走上较少前人踏过之路
I'm guessing it's a bike path.
我猜是那路还是单车路吧
As a matter of fact it was.
还真是呢
Everybody in China rides bicycles.
在中国人人都骑自行车
It's fantastic.
太棒了
Did you see the Great Wall ‭I did.
-你去长城了吗 -我去了
Interesting fact
有趣的事实
it's filled with the dead bodies
长城底下埋了许多
of the people who built it.
建筑工人的尸体
You don't say.
不会吧
Hundreds of thousands of them.
有成千上万具尸体
Here taste.
来尝一口
If it's just the two of us why can't I eat watching TV
如果只有我们俩 我为什么不能边吃边看电视
'Cause you're having dinner with your mother
因为你在跟你妈一起吃饭
and it's a chance for us to talk.
这是我们交心的好机会
Sheldon's having dinner and looking out the window.
谢尔顿就在边吃饭边看窗外啊
Want me to have him join us
想要我叫他进来一起吃吗
No.
不想
Then quit complaining.
那就别抱怨了
So what do you want to talk about
你想聊什么
Um I don't know.
我也不知道
How's school
上学怎么样了
It's school it's a turd fest.
那里可是学校 就是一坨屎
Charming.
真好
Are you dating anyone
你在跟谁交往吗
Nah nobody up to my standards.
没有 没人配得上我
Sure.
当然了
Can I ask you a question
我能问你个问题吗
Course you can ask me anything.
当然可以 你想问什么都行
Were you pregnant with me when you married Dad
你跟爸结婚时是不是已经怀上我了
Um... why would you ask that
你为什么会问这个
Sheldon said so.
谢尔顿说的
How would Sheldon know
谢尔顿怎么会知道
He did the math.
他算过了
What math
算什么
He said the time between my birthday
他说我的生日
and your wedding day was six months.
和你们举行婚礼那天相差六个月
Um... yeah.
是啊
That's because you...
那是因为你...
were born premature.
是早产儿
I've seen my birth certificate
我看过我的出生证
it said I weighed nine pounds.
上面写着我出生时是8斤巨婴
Yes that's true.
没错
You were a big fat preemie.
你是个大胖早产儿
Let's talk about something else.
我们聊点别的吧
Why
为什么
'Cause I'd very much like to.
因为我非常想换话题
And then Heather B said she didn't want
然后海瑟一号就说
to play tetherball with Heather M anymore.
她以后不想跟海瑟二号玩绳球了
Wait. Th There's two Heathers
等等 有两个海瑟吗
Oh yeah.
是啊
Which one's which
哪个是哪个来着
Heather B is stuck up.
海瑟一号是自大狂
Heather M used to be stuck up
海瑟二号以前也是自大狂
but then she got a scoliosis brace.
但后来她戴上了脊椎侧弯支架
Maybe she shouldn't be playing tetherball.
或许她不应该玩绳球
That's what Heather B said.
海瑟一号就是这么说的
This is delicious
很美味
but you were not kidding about the spice.
但你没夸张 真的好辣
I'm about to break a sweat here.
我都快辣出满头汗了
Well here's something you might find interesting.
有一个有趣的小知识
Spicy food is typically found in warmer climates
辣的食物通常都出自天气温暖的地方
because it induces sweating
因为吃辣能让人出汗
which in turn cools people off.
从而让大家凉快下来
So what does the runny nose do for me
那流鼻水对我有什么好处
It allows me to uh
让我有机会
gallantly offer you my handkerchief.
对你殷勤地献上我的手帕
You are such a gentleman.
你真绅士
When I was younger
我年轻的时候
I read a book on etiquette.
看了一本介绍礼仪的书
That's how I know
我从上面学到
that if I ever have an audience at the Vatican
如果我有机会去梵蒂冈受到接见
I should wear evening attire or a sack coat.
我应该穿上晚礼服或男便装上衣
I don't know what a sack coat is
我不知道男便装上衣是什么
but I'm sure you'd look handsome in it.
但你穿上一定很帅气
Thank you.
谢谢
You know it's a long bike ride at night.
晚上骑车回去很远
If you want...
如果你想的话
you're welcome to stay.
欢迎你留下来过夜
No it's fine I I have a headlight on my bicycle.
没事 我的单车有车头灯
Oh sure sure.
当然了 当然
Although I hear it might rain.
不过 据说好像会下雨
No worries. I have a pocket poncho.
不用担心 我有折叠雨衣
So you do.
好吧
John.
约翰
I'm inviting you to spend the night.
我是在邀请你留下来过夜
No thank you.
不用了 谢谢
Don't they make babies that are born too soon
早产婴儿不是都要
stay in the hospital
留院察看吗
Normally yes but you were born
通常是的 但你出生时
with such a great head full of hair
有一头秀发
that they sent you home with us.
医院就让我们带你回家了
That's the first thing you've said that makes sense.
这是你刚才说的唯一合理的话
I'm glad we had dinner this was nice.
我很高兴我们一起吃晚餐 感觉很好
Yeah fun stuff.
是啊 很好玩
Well don't want to miss Who's The Boss.
可不能错过《成长没烦恼》
Lord forgive me for lying.
主啊 原谅我说谎了
I'll tell him the truth when he's 30. Amen.
等他30岁时我再告诉他真相 阿门
Your lobster madam.
您的龙虾 女士
Thank you.
谢谢
Would you like me to open it for her
需要我帮她切开吗
Oh I got it thanks.
我来就好 谢谢
You all right This thing's freaking me out.
-你还好吧 -这玩意好吓人
Here let me help you with that.
来吧 我来帮你
Here. Okay.
挪一下 好了
The trick is not to make eye contact.
秘诀在于别跟它对看
Tell him.
跟它说去
Here.
All right now we just... snap her off
好了 我们把龙虾钳子扯下来
like that... pop.
像这样 啪
Grab this guy here
拿上工具
and we crack the claw.
把钳子夹裂
And then you take out a little meat...
然后取出一些虾肉
dunk it in some butter
蘸一些牛油酱
and then you eat it.
再放到嘴里
Holy moly.
哎哟妈呀
It's good huh
很好吃 对吧
Unbelievable.
难以置信
I'll leave you to it.
接下来你自己弄吧
No. Sit with me.
别走 陪我坐
Okay.
好吧
When I grow up I'm gonna eat lobster every night.
等我长大后 我每晚都要吃龙虾
Well hon you better stay in school and get a good education.
宝贝 那你得好好读书 上所好学校
I was thinking I'd just marry a rich guy.
我想着我就嫁给有钱人好了
Sure that's a way to go.
当然 那样做也行
Or a guy who works at Red Lobster.
或是嫁给红龙虾餐厅的员工
That's another way to go.
这法子也可以
You seem quiet. Is everything okay
你都没怎么说话 没什么问题吧
Are you not interested in me
你对我没兴趣吗
Of course I am. I'm very interested.
当然有了 我对你很有兴趣
Then how come when I...
那为什么...
I invited you to spend the night I got rejected
我邀请你留下来过夜 你却拒绝我
I did do that didn't I
我确实拒绝了 对吧
Good Lord yes.
当然了
I can explain.
我可以解释
Please do.
愿闻其详
I didn't want you to think that I would think
我不希望你认为在我心目中
that you were the sort of woman
你是那种就因为
who would engage in coitus
我煮了四川菜给你吃
simply because I cooked you a Szechuan dinner.
你就会跟我交媾的人
It was better before you explained.
你不解释还比较好
All right let me try a different tack.
好吧 那我换一种方式
Connie.
康妮
Oh boy.
老天
Would you honor me with an evening of intimate relations
你愿意赏光 今晚与我发生亲密关系吗
Well that is a different tack.
这方式确实与众不同
This is very promising.
看起来情势一片大好
What's happening
发生什么事了
Dr. Sturgis's bike is still at Meemaw's.
斯特吉斯博士的单车还停在姥姥家
So
那又如何
That means he probably is too.
说明他也很可能还在姥姥家
You need to get a life.
你需要有自己的生活
There he is.
他出现了
Mom Mom Mom.
妈妈 妈妈 妈妈
What's wrong What's going on
-出什么事了 -怎么了
Dr. Sturgis and Meemaw had their first sleepover.
斯特吉斯博士和姥姥第一次一起过夜了
It's a big step in their relationship.
这是他们恋爱关系的重大进展
I'm going to go congratulate them.
我要去恭喜他们
Hey put on a jacket it's chilly out.
先穿上外套 外面很冷
Will do
好的
Or try saying he can't go.
你应该说他不准去
Oh never mind you can't go
不用穿了 你不准去
The last thing I heard was jacket
外套后面的话我都没听见
内容操作
视频
教程课件
单词卡片